This recipe is loosely based upon one I found on a package of Nestlé Dark Chocolate & Mint Morsels. It has taken several attempts to perfect the cooking times and substitutions, but I think you’ll find the end result to be an irresistible blend of coffee, chocolate and mint. Like biscotti, these make great gifts—if you’re willing to part with them.
Note: using a few extra morsels to adorn these treats is fun for photos, but after the first few batches, I abandoned this step. Getting them to stay in place on top of the thick batter for primarily decorative purposes just isn’t worth the effort.
Mint Mocha Brownie Bites
Makes 2 dozen
1 1/3 cups 50/50 flour*
1/4 cup cocoa
1/4 teaspoon baking soda
1/4 teaspoon salt
2/3 cup chocolate chips
1/2 cup packed brown sugar
1/3 cup canola oil
1/3 cup Nestlé Dark Chocolate & Mint Morsels, Andes® Peppermint Crunch Baking Chips or Andes® Crème de Menthe Baking Chips
1/4 cup brewed coffee, hot or cold
1/3 cup additional Nestlé® Dark Chocolate & Mint Morsels, Andes® Peppermint Crunch Baking Chips or Andes® Crème de Menthe Baking Chips
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
1/8 teaspoon peppermint extract
* You can buy this off the shelf, but I use a less-expensive homemade mix of all-purpose and whole wheat flour. If you don’t have a mix ready, use 2/3 cup each of all-purpose and whole wheat flour for this recipe.
- Preheat oven to 325°F and mist two 12-cup mini muffin pans with cooking spray or line with paper muffin cups.
- Whisk together flour, cocoa, baking soda and salt in a medium bowl.
- In a separate, microwaveable bowl, combine chocolate chips, brown sugar, oil, mint chips (or morsels) and coffee. Microwave for 1 minute on high, stopping halfway to stir.
- Remove bowl from microwave and whisk in eggs, then stir in additional mint chips (or morsels) and both extracts.
- Pour wet mixture into dry ingredients and stir just until moistened, about 30 strokes.
- Using a small spoon or cookie scoop, divide batter evenly among prepared cups.
- Bake for 9-10 minutes. Do not overbake.
- Cools pans on a wire rack for a couple of minutes before carefully removing brownie bites to wire rack to cool completely.
Store in a tightly covered container at room temperature for up to three days.
© Liesl K. Bohan | SavvyBaker.com