This is essentially a chunky version of my Chewy Peanut Butter Power Bites. With protein from multiple sources, these treats are great for a mid-morning snack or afternoon pick-me-up.
Though other granolas would probably work, I recommend using Banana Nut Granola or Peanut Butter Granola Surprise for this recipe. For a sweeter version, you could use Protein-Packed Peanut Butter Granola, but these are already dessert-like as is.
Hunky Chunky Granola Squares
Makes 16 squares
3 cups peanut butter granola
1/4 cup almond meal
1/4 cup wheat germ
1/4 cup nonfat powdered milk
1/2 cup peanut butter (creamy or crunchy)
1/2 cup honey
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
3/4 cup crushed walnuts
1/2 cup chocolate chips
- Preheat oven to 325° F and mist an 8-inch square baking pan with cooking spray.
- Combine granola, almond meal, wheat germ and powdered milk in a large bowl. Set aside.
- Cream peanut butter and honey together in a stand mixer. Add vanilla and blend.
- Pour granola mixture into peanut butter mixture and blend until combined.
- Stir in walnuts and chocolate chips. Mixture will be crumbly.
- Transfer to prepared pan and distribute evenly, using moistened fingers to press into edges and corners.
- Bake for 20 minutes, until set and golden.
- Remove pan to wire rack to cool.
- After 10-15 minutes, cut into squares.
Place individual pieces in separate plastic snack bags for easy, portable snacks or store in an airtight container at room temperature for up to a week. Alternatively, refrigerate in sealed bags or containers for up to two weeks.
© Liesl K. Bohan | SavvyBaker.com