I just made my first batch of these a few days ago, and they were fantastic. Next time, I’m going to skip the chips and serve them for breakfast. Adapted from Great Coffee Cakes, Sticky Buns, Muffins & More by Carole Walter.
Incredible Peanut Butter Banana Muffins
1/2 cup brown sugar, packed
1/3 cup smooth peanut butter
1/2 cup nonfat vanilla yogurt
1 well-ripened medium banana, mashed
1/3 cup canola oil
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
1 1/2 cups whole wheat or all purpose flour (I use a 50/50 mix)
1 teaspoon baking powder
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon baking soda
1/2 cup dried cranberries
1/3 cup chocolate chips, optional
- Preheat oven to 375° F, and coat 12 muffin cups with cooking spray.
- Cream brown sugar, peanut butter and egg together in a mixer.
- Scrape down the side of the bowl, then add yogurt, banana, oil and extract. Mix until completely blended.
- In a separate bowl, whisk together the dry ingredients: flour, baking powder, salt, and baking soda.
- Add dry ingredients to the peanut butter mixture, stirring slowly and stopping just before the flour mix is fully moistened.
- Fold in cranberries and chips, mixing just long enough to incorporate them and fully moisten the dry ingredients.
- Distribute evenly among the 12 prepared muffin cups, and bake for 23 to 25 minutes, until the tops are golden brown and spring back to the touch.
- Cool in pan on a wire rack.
These store well for a couple of days at room temperature in a tightly sealed container. They can also be frozen.
© Liesl K. Bohan @ SavvyBaker.com